Thursday, February 26, 2009

finding time in the kitchen


Have I ever told you that I love bananas? Oh they are so good, but I must admit I am a terribly fussy banana eater. They must still have that tiny sliver of green left on them and still that tiny bit firm, which means there is about a 24 hour period when I bring them home from that shops that I consider them to be edible.

Now obviously this causes all sorts of dramas because although I do love them, really I don't love them enough to eat a whole bunch in 24 hours. So we end up with a whole heap of perfectly good bananas which I will refuse to eat as they have gone past that perfection point. Call me anal, I totally agree.

So we stash the bananas in the freezer and when my husband finds time he makes his oh so good banana bread which has the most deliciously crunchy brown sugar and almond topping. Mnn its delicious and just this once I can totally overlook that the bananas are all mashy!

55g (1/4 cup) firmly packed brown sugar
30g (1/4 cup) almonds, chopped
375ml sour cream
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
125g unsalted butter, melted
1 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 3/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Preheat oven to 180C. Grease and line two 10 x 18cm loaf tins with baking paper. In a bowl, mix together the brown sugar and almonds and put aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the sour cream and bicarbonate of soda, set aside for 5 minutes then stir in the melted butter, sugar and eggs. In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cinnamon. Gradually fold in the sour cream mixture, followed by the bananas.

Pour the mixture equally into the prepared tins and sprinkle the brown sugar mixture on top.

Bake for 1-11/2 hours or until a skewer comes out clean. Set aside and cool in tins for about 20 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

We toast our bread on the sandwich press and then smother in butter beacuse its not unheathly enough already!!

8 comments:

  1. That's funny I just made some banana bread last night. I have piece sitting beside me right now at work for morning tea with a cup of tea. I do like the sound of your topping though so I'll have to give it a try next time. Lisa x
    http://glossboutique.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, that slice looks delicious! i will definitely have to give this recipe a try! (i'll be posting the recipe for the banana sticky buns next week :)

    oh, and i'm exactly the same way with my bananas...just a hint of green and they're just right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my eating window for bananas is about 3 hours - but banana cake is another matter entirely... Will have to try this recipe, thanks to your H for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummo! I agree about the bananas. They have to be just so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love bananas too! I will make this when I get some more.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree bananas have such a small window - but banana cake or bread is perfect for the ripe ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes yes yes! I know EXACTLY what you're talking about lovely, and I only like ladyfingers. I'm going to remember this for next time I buy 5 and only end up eating 1!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made it! Here is the link to my attempt. Not nearly as beautiful as yours of course. I swapped out plain flour + baking powder with self-raising flour and 1/3 of the sour cream with yoghurt. Yum!

    ReplyDelete

We adore your comments, please do say hello!

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP